Monday, March 26, 2007

 

Chuck Hagel Hints at Impeachment

Sen. Chuck Hagel (R-Ne) has been hinting in the press that impeachment of President Bush might be the way to go if he refuses to heed the power of Congress. According to Esquire:

“The president says, ‘I don’t care.’ He’s not accountable anymore,” Hagel says, measuring his words by the syllable and his syllables almost by the letter. “He’s not accountable anymore, which isn’t totally true. You can impeach him, and before this is over, you might see calls for his impeachment. I don’t know. It depends how this goes.”


The dissident Republican and possible Presidential candidate made a similar threat this Sunday on ABC's This Week with George Stephanopolous program,


"Any president who says, I don't care, or I will not respond to what the people of this country are saying about Iraq or anything else, or I don't care what the Congress does, I am going to proceed if a president really believes that, then there are what I was pointing out, there are ways to deal with that," said Hagel, who is considering a 2008 presidential run".


I appreciate the sentiment, but there is no way he could be still seriously considering running for President as a Republican. Tough talk about impeaching Bush impresses me and my friends, but none of us are registered Republicans. The winning GOP nominee in 08 will need to put some distance between him and Bush, but calling for the impeachment of your party's sitting President probably isn't the best way to win over the grassroots of the GOP.

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?